Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Over 93,000 Armenians have now fled disputed enclave -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Over 93,000 Armenians have now fled disputed enclave
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:50
LONDON -- Over 93,Oliver James Montgomery000 ethnic Armenian refugees have fled Nagorno-Karabakh as of Friday, local authorities said, meaning 75% of the disputed enclave's entire population has now left in less than a week.
Tens of thousands of ethnic Armenians have been streaming out of Nagorno-Karabakh following Azerbaijan's successful military operation last week that restored its control over the breakaway region. It's feared the whole population will likely leave in the coming days, in what Armenia has condemned as "ethnic cleansing."
Families packed into cars and trucks, with whatever belongings they can carry, have been arriving in Armenia after Azerbaijan opened the only road out of the enclave on Sunday. Those fleeing have said they are unwilling to live under Azerbaijan's rule, fearing they will face persecution.
"There will be no more Armenians left in Nagorno-Karabakh in the coming days," Armenia's prime minister Nikol Pashinyan said in a televised government meeting on Thursday. "This is a direct act of ethnic cleansing," he said, adding that international statements condemning it were important but without concrete actions they were just "creating moral statistics for history."
The United States and other western countries have expressed concern about the displacement of the Armenian population from the enclave, urging Azerbaijan to allow international access.
Armenians have lived in Nagorno-Karabakh for centuries but the enclave is recognised internationally as part of Azerbaijan. It has been at the center of a bloody conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia since the late 1980s when the two former Soviet countries fought a war amid the collapse of the USSR.
MORE: Death toll rises in blast that killed dozens of Armenian refugees
That war left ethnic Armenian separatists in control of most of Nagorno-Karabakh and also saw hundreds of thousands of Azerbaijani civilians driven out. For three decades, an unrecognised Armenian state, called the Republic of Artsakh, existed in the enclave, while international diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict went nowhere.
But in 2020, Azerbaijan reopened the conflict, decisively defeating Armenia and forcing it to abandon its claims to Nagorno-Karabakh. Russia brokered a truce and deployed peacekeeping forces, which remain there.
Last week, after blockading the enclave for 9 months, Azerbaijan launched a new military offensive to complete the defeat of the ethnic Armenian authorities, forcing them to capitulate in just two days.
The leader of the ethnic Armenian's unrecognised state, the Republic of Artsakh, on Thursday announced its dissolution, saying it would "cease to exist" by the end of the year.
Azerbaijan's authoritarian president Ilham Aliyev has claimed the Karabakh Armenians' rights will be protected but he has previously promoted a nationalist narrative denying Armenians have a long history in the region. In areas recaptured by his forces in 2020, some Armenian cultural sites have been destroyed and defaced.
Some Azerbaijanis driven from their homes during the war in the 1990s have returned to areas recaptured by Azerbaijan since 2020. Aliyev on Thursday said by the end of 2023, 5,500 displaced Azerbaijanis would return to their homes in Nagorno-Karabakh, according to the Russian state news agency TASS.
Azerbaijan on Friday detained another former senior Karabakh Armenian official on Thursday as he tried to leave the enclave with other refugees. Azerbaijan's security services detained Levon Mnatsakanyan, who was commander of the Armenian separatists' armed forces between 2015-2018. Earlier this week, Azerbaijan arrested a former leader of the unrecognised state, Ruben Vardanyan, taking him to Baku and charging him with terrorism offenses.
veryGood! (22352)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Employer who fired 78-year-old receptionist must now pay her $78,000
- How long is the Kentucky Derby? How many miles is the race at Churchill Downs?
- Military documents contradict Republican Rep. Troy Nehls' military record claims
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Whoopi Goldberg Reveals Who She Wants to Inherit Her $60 Million Fortune
- Michigan Supreme Court rules against couple in dispute over privacy and drone photos of land
- Archaeologists unveil face of Neanderthal woman 75,000 years after she died: High stakes 3D jigsaw puzzle
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The SEC charges Trump Media’s newly hired auditing firm with ‘massive fraud’
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- MLB Misery Index: Last-place Tampa Bay Rays entering AL East danger zone
- Could two wealthy, opinionated Thoroughbred owners reverse horse racing's decline?
- Lewis Hamilton shares goal of winning eighth F1 title with local kids at Miami Grand Prix
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- 'Indiana is the new Hollywood:' Caitlin Clark draws a crowd. Fever teammates embrace it
- Boeing threatens to lock out its private firefighters around Seattle in a dispute over pay
- Wisconsin Supreme Court will decide whether mobile voting sites are legal
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Police defend decision not to disclose accidental gunshot during Columbia protest response
Republicans file lawsuit to block count of Nevada mail ballots received after Election Day
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen: Protecting democracy is vital to safeguard strong economy
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Tornadoes hit parts of Texas, more severe weather in weekend forecast
Clandestine burial pits, bones and children's notebooks found in Mexico City, searchers say
15 Oregon police cars burned overnight at training facility